Monday, April 9, 2012

Early April garden update

Well, this year has been crazy in terms of weather.  Such a mild winter has led to some late-season chillyness and (finally!) a little rain here and there.  I guess many people have lost some of their early plantings due to the frost/freezing temperatures.  <---At least that is what the guy at the nursery told me last weekend.

**Apparently it is a rule-of-thumb that the last frost/freeze of the year is on or before March 15**

We replaced the cucumbers with some watermelon seedlings last weekend.  I am hoping they do better than the cucs did, and there is no reason they shouldn't do well.  I will make a note of the exact variety as soon as I think to check. 

Our bibb lettuce is ready to be early harvested, it is crazy how fast it grew!  I am planning on trying it in a dinner this week. 

Peppers and tomatoes and onions are growing well.  The one snap-pea plant and eggplant are growing slower, but doing just fine.  The squash and zucchini and beets look to be hanging on, but not yet thriving. 

The carrots are starting to sprout. 

I did take some photos on the 7th and will be adding them as soon as I get them ready. 

Since we have been having intermittant rain, I have been giving a heavy soak every third day or so - more time if it has rained.

No comments:

Post a Comment