Sunday, March 11, 2012

Garden Diagrams

So, I do have real photos as well, but here is my little diagram of what we planted in our two raised-bed garden boxes. 

I have read so much about the need to keep a detailed journal about our garden so I know what to do and not do next year.  Hopefully this diagram will help me remember exactly what we planted this year.
 
So far, I think we have too much. My plan is to thin out the plants as they grow. I will keep the stronger plants and if many are strong I might transplant them. We planted these last weekend, and already the cucumbers look to be a little frail. We did have one evening this week that was pretty close to freezing. I was pretty nervous about all we had just planted, but the rest of the week the temperature was better and most of the other plants still look pretty healthy.

I had no idea how much to buy and planning out ahead of time was tough because I didn't know the best method, there just seemed to be too many factors...
  • Plant spacing
  • Companion planting
  • Size of grown plants
  • How many plants came in a container
  • What would we try to plant from seeds
  • What all we wanted to have in our garden
  • What would do well in our climate and though the hot summer
  • What would the store have in stock, or was it too early to try to plant that variety
So, I just went with what looked healthiest at the nursery, a decent variety, and what sounded good.

No comments:

Post a Comment